Under certain conditions, visitors to China may not be subject to a compulsory fee-based visa:
- You change planes in Beijing (BJS) or Shanghai (SHA) from an international flight with an onward international flight
- The maximal layover is 144 hours
- Your onward flight is to a country (third country) that is not identical to the country you began your trip in
- You have a confirmed reservation for the onward flight
- The rule covers your nationality – not all nationalities are excluded from the compulsory fee-based visa.
In addition to Beijing and Shanghai, visa-free transit is now also possible in the following cities: Tianjin, Shijiazhuang, Nanjing and Hangzhou.